Saturday, November 3, 2007

How big is the Spam problem?

To start by showing my hand, I really dislike Spam. I could live without offers of pirate software, contact from someone pretending to be a young Russian woman, offers of all sorts of pills and potions and of course, the enhancements to my anatomy. 

My guess is that there must be a return on their effort - in other words enough people must click-through to make spam worthwhile.

On one level they are a nuisance, but if there are enough spam emails, they are clogging your Internet connection. So, are there enough? 

Here is real data from a Spam Filter here in Australia - you decide.
Total Emails received = 9.5 million
"Genuine" Emails = 2 million
Spam Emails = 7.5 million

This means more than 80% of the email arriving at this domain is spam. 

Having an absolute fix for spam is difficult, as it involves technical and legal remedies. That said,  I notice that Spam Filters are now doing a great job. For example, I have a Hotmail account and the Spam arriving in my inbox is zero. If more and more spam is blocked, then hopefully, the sources will diminish. 

No comments: